Searching...

Popular Posts

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Educator and Proud

Thursday, July 16, 2020
It was not any regular Monday morning that day. It was the first day of my first school year as a teacher. I have been waiting for the day that I will be teaching in my own classroom. My mind was full of great ideas from what I have learned during my student-teaching experience, from many other teachers, the books I read, and the sites I googled. I came prepared, or so I thought I was. I had mixed feelings of nervousness and excitement, but more of excitement part. It was indeed a perfect first day of school until one student transformed into the “hulk” and started smashing everything he can touch. My classroom suddenly turned into the battlefield in Wakanda scene in the Avengers: Infinity War if I must describe it today.  Just like the Avengers who lived after Infinity War, I survived not only my first day but my first year as a teacher. I know there still so much to learn. Since day one of my teaching career, I never stop learning to help me become better teacher every year.
As an educator, I only teach what I know. This makes it empirical for me to continuously educate myself with the latest research and innovations in education. I should embrace with open mind and flexibility a variety of teaching methods and latest technology. I should never be afraid of change. Change is good. As Carol Dweck said in her book titled Mindset, “(I)n a growth mindset, people believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work – brains and talents are just the starting point.” I teach the same concept to my students. I am here to help them develop their love of learning and in the process, it also enhances my love of teaching.
As an educator, I wear many hats and most of the time I wear multiple hats. I play different roles. I am a tutor. I am a girl scout, always ready. I am a nurse. I am comedian. I am a detective. I am an artist. I can be whatever because I am a teacher. In my life as an educator, no two days are the same for each day brings a new challenge.
As an educator, I learn from my mistakes and successes. I strongly believe that reflection is a fundamental rule of learning as well as teaching. Just like my first day of school, I planned what that day should look like, but it did not go as planned, and so I had to come up with immediate solution to make it that day. That was a great learning experience for me. I ask myself these questions every day: (i) What happened; (ii) What worked; (iii) What did not work; or (iv) What will I do next time. I ask so many questions all the time because I want to be a highly effective teacher for the best interest of my students. 
As an educator, I inspire and empower my students. I am not here just to educate them but I am here to inspire them to learn, to excel, to become leaders, to be dreamers, and to be more than what they think they could be. Wiliam Buttler Yeats once said, “(E)ducation is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” Teaching should not be about pouring knowledge that students need to learn year by year or classroom to classroom. I am here to inspire and empower them to become successful learners and reach their dreams by creating many opportunities for them to explore their capabilities, to encourage them to take risk, to create, and to not be afraid to make mistakes because that is where they learn more about themselves and their potentials.
I am an educator because I value education. I am an educator because I love to teach. I am an educator because I love to learn something new each day. I am an educator because I want to help a child to dream and make his or her dream come true. I am an educator because I want to make this world a better world.
Next
This is the most recent post.
Older Post

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Interesting Articles